Friday, October 28, 2016

Day Nine - Christopher Brandon Lee Confesses To Murdering Erin Corwin

Erin Corwin/Facebook
Sorry it took me so long to write and post this. I'm battling a Migraine that came on during Christopher Lee's chilling and horrifying testimony. Yes, the defendant's words literally made me ill. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It's not exactly common for the defendant to testify on his own behalf in a murder trial. So I was shocked when defense attorney David Kaloyanides called Christopher Brandon Lee as his first witness. A fellow courtroom reporter mused it must be to make Lee seem more human for the jury, and I agreed. Boy, were we wrong.

Kaloyanides started with questions of Lee that allowed him to wax poetic on his idyllic childhood in Alaska. Lee said was fond of thing most kids like to do, like play with throwing stars and swords (???). Anyway, soon the questioning moved on to his relationship with Erin. Some key points:
  • Lee admitted he and Erin had a sexual relationship.
  • Lee admitted Erin told him she was pregnant, and that she was upset because she didn't know if Lee or husband Jon Corwin was the father.
  • Lee said he was in love with Erin Corwin, and admitted it was he who wrote the love note that prosecutor Sean Daugherty showed the jury the day before. Lee said he gave it to Erin after Nichole had discovered the affair by looking at the texts he wrote to Erin. 
Then Kaloyanides asked Lee about the day Erin disappeared: June 28, 2014:
  • Lee admitted he picked up Erin at the spot where her car was found off base in Twentynine Palms
  • Lee claimed he was planning to build a tire fire in a remote mine, but didn't tell Erin this little nugget. Instead Lee testified he told Erin he was taking her out "for a surprise" while on a hunting trip.
  • Lee testified he threw down the mine shaft the propane tank, the tires, the water jugs filled with gasoline, and the torch made of his t-shirt and a stick, all to start a mine fire. While doing this, Erin was supposedly just sitting in his Jeep, listening to music.
  • Lee said was so upset he could not start the mine tire fire that he decided to play Russian Roulette in his jeep. This upset Erin, said Lee, so she walked away into an adjacent mine shaft.
  • Lee testified was unable to kill himself with the gun, so he called Erin to come back out of the mine shaft. 
This is where things get dicey. Writing down the excuse Lee gave for murdering Erin - putting down it in black and white - somehow feels like I am giving it legitimacy. I AM NOT. It is such a ludicrous assertion that I believe it will turn any juror against Lee who wasn't already convinced he is a soulless, cruel, lying, cold-blooded murderer.

Lee testified that out in the desert, after his unsuccessful game of Russian Roulette, Erin admitted to him that she had molested his daughter, Liberty. (Lee testified earlier that Nichole saw "suspicious" irritation on Liberty's genitals, and automatically assumed she was molested, and by Erin Corwin, although neither parent called law enforcement or a pediatrician - in fact, both parents continued to let Erin babysit Liberty.)

Lee testified that a "red hot knife went through his heart" upon hearing Erin's "confession" and he lost it. As luck would have it, he just happened to have a garrote in his hand when Erin "confessed" and he got so angry he strangled Erin to death, then dumped her body down the mine shaft.

Lee was calm during his testimony. He looked scared. He appeared to try and express some true emotion, even making crying sounds at one point. But there were no tears, and no tissues were used. His vocal affect was flat, and much of what he said sounded rehearsed to me. We heard him used that same flat, vocal affect during the videotaped interrogation with Det. Hanke, when everything he said was a lie. But now, because he's under oath, he is somehow supposed to be believable?

After this revolting testimony, the court took a lunch break. I'll write about what happened after the lunch break in the next post...

17 comments:

  1. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I've never heard a revolver mentioned in this entire case. How can he play Russian Roulette with a magazine fed weapon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable. I'm not sure how you could take notes during such a "confession". Truly shows your ability to process, something I'm sure all your readers appreciate. Such a crazy turn of events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is no man he was seriously trying to justify his actions. Clearly this backfired on him. I do wonder if Lee's wife has some capability in Lee's actions?
    Thank you so much for keeping us updated on the trial. Btw what sentence are they wanting life in prison or death penalty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Beth for reporting the daily court news. My heart hurts so bad for Erin and her beautiful Christian family. I cannot fathom what they are going through and having to listen to the despicable lies this POS is spewing to try and save his life. I have the utmost faith in the jury that they will see through this and find him guilty based off hard facts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now we know why the DA was asking Jonathon about Erin's relationship with the Lee's daughter. He was surely trying to draw the jurors thoughts to what Lee eventually fabricated to try to get him off the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christopher Lee is truly a hideous human being. His asinine attorney is equally subhuman to condone such a repulsive testimony from Lee. It's not enough that Lee brutally murdered Erin, now he has the gall to smear her reputation by claiming that she sexually abuse his young daughter. The jury deciding this case won't be fooled by this stupid and revolting attempt by the defendant to blame the victim for her murder. I hope the jury slams Lee with the death penalty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the same and also thought as the fire and rescue guy described what he saw and smelled that Chris should have been the one to go down in that mine with his fellow snakes to retrieve sweet Erin's remains.

      Delete
  7. As much as I have seen of the Morongo Basin comment on his testimony, I think I not only speak for myself but alot of others when i say he's lying to save himself. I believe he's a disgusting human being and for his family that I am sure is reading this: I am truly sorry that you not only have to deal with the grieving for your precious daughter/neice/relative but also have her murderer slander her name! May god be with you in your time of need and may you someday be able to sleep at night knowing her killer gets the justice he deserves. I believe the jury will see through this horrendous pos humam beings lies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you again for all the time and effort you put in covering Erin's murder trial. It must have been quite a shock listening to Lee's testimony today. There are many people who didn't know Erin personally, but care deeply about her--and want Christopher Lee to be held accountable. Your first hand witnessing of all the court proceedings and thorough written reports are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is Jon Corwin still in court? Is he doing ok? This must be unbearable for Erin's family. I'm praying for them. CL and NL are pure evil and I believe she is just as guilty. I hope justice is swift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is he not being charged with a double murder to include Erin's unborn child??? This is all so horrifc

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have amazed me with your truthful accounts of what's going on in the courtroom!! Thank you so much for all your time and help in keeping many people informed that loved Erin and her family!! I sit next to Erin's Mom every day and I so appreciate your willingness to take so much time out of your life!! Thank you, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have known Christopher Lee as a kid growing up in AK, I have been following this case and just stumbled on to your, blog. I am so sorry for Erin's family and thankful that you are sharing this with us, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just becoming familiar with this case so please forgive me if my questions are answered elsewhere. I'm so bothered by his accusations against what seems like a truly kind, good, trusting young woman. We all make mistakes, it's how we learn in life, but death is not usually the price for our mistakes. Anyway, we're his accusations addressed? Hopefully, everyone reacts add I did and knows there is NO truth to what he has accused but for ones who may actually believe him, was anything done to prove the lies? I can't stand the thought that is the legacy even one person believes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just watched the Dateline episode and am in tears for Erin, John and all of their family and friends. It's completely UNREAL to me that people like Chris even exist much less walk among us. The first question that comes to mind is, "Who raised these people?". Not to blame his parents because I don't know the situation, but where did all of our morals, ethics, and conscience go? Not only did he brutally murder Erin, but then has the audacity to accuse her of something so heinous to save himself? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Please forgive me as my emotions are off the charts right now! God Bless Erin and her family. I cannot imagine all you've been through and pray you find peace. My heart breaks for you.

    ReplyDelete